Experienced Medical Malpractice Lawyers Litigate Birth Injuries
Fighting for justice for newborns and their parents
The birth of your child should be a joyous occasion. But when a doctor’s negligence harms your newborn, any joy is crushed by sorrow, anger, and anxiety for the future. If your child has sustained a permanent disability, you can trust The Tacopina Injury Firm to hold any and all negligent parties accountable. For more than 20 years, our accomplished trial lawyers have helped injured parties assert their rights. We fight for full compensation, so you can provide for your child’s future needs.
Aggressive representation for injuries causing cerebral palsy
Cerebral palsy is among the most devastating birth injuries because of the permanent mental and physical damage inflicted on the child. These injuries lead to varying conditions:
- Spastic cerebral palsy — This condition causes muscle stiffness that diminishes strength and induces jerky movements. Symptoms vary according to the severity of the condition and area of the body affected. It can be limited to the legs as in spastic hemiplegia, or affect all four limbs, as in spastic quadriplegia. There may also be speech problems and seizures.
- Ataxic cerebral palsy — This type of palsy affects balance and depth perception. The condition impedes fine motor skills but usually does not affect intelligence or speech.
- Athetoid or dyskinetic cerebral palsy — These types of palsy render muscles weak and/or tight, subjecting a child to uncontrollable movement. Speech is made difficult, but intelligence is generally unaffected.
- Hypotonic cerebral palsy — This condition slackens muscle tone, causing a baby’s head to flop and making breathing difficult.
Children afflicted with cerebral palsy may face a lifetime of special needs. Our attorneys focus on obtaining compensation that meets those needs.
Discovering malpractice during delivery
In addition to cerebral palsy, serious birth injuries include brachial palsy, facial paralysis, broken clavicle, and shoulder dystocia. Although labor is a difficult process for mother and child, these injuries are generally preventable when a medical team exercises due care. As your legal counsel, we investigate events leading up to the injury to discover negligence on the part of a healthcare provider, such as:
- Failing to treat the mother for preeclampsia
- Allowing the second stage of labor to go on too long before ordering a C-section
- Misusing a vacuum extractor
- Allowing the baby to experience asphyxia
- Misjudging a mother’s capacity to deliver vaginally and failing to order a C-section
- Failing to diagnose an infant’s infection, such as meningitis
When your baby has been injured at birth, you have a right to hold the negligent parties accountable. Our firm has access to qualified medical experts who help us assess your case for recovery.
Contact a reliable NYC law firm for your birth injury case
If medical negligence has injured your newborn, trust The Tacopina Injury Firm to fight tenaciously on your behalf. We understand how important this litigation is to your child’s future, so we make every effort to obtain the maximum possible level of compensation. To schedule a free consultation and case evaluation, call us today at 347-246-5102 or contact our Manhattan office online.